Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tantrums in public

I believed most of us especially parents know and familiar about tantrums. Toddlers especially tend to throw tantrums anywhere they want, no matter at home or even in public.

As per wiki, tantrum is an emotional outburst, usually associated with children or those in emotional distress, that is typically characterized by stubbornness, crying, screaming, yelling, shrieking, defiance, angry ranting, a resistance to attempts at pacification and, in some cases, violence. Physical control may be lost, the person may be unable to remain still, and even if the "goal" of the person is met he or she may not be calmed. A tantrum may be expressed in a tirade: a protracted, angry, or violent speech.


Maryam, too has few times throwing tantrums in public. Malu? Ada lah sikit. But, the important thing that we, as parents need to understand and learn is how to handle them, especially in public. Just want to share what I've read from many parenting site; you can try it yourself and practice whichever suits you, your child and the situation itself.

1) Plan ahead of the journey. If we're going out for groceries & window shopping for more than 1 hour, then I should prepare some books/toys or even healthy snacks to make sure she'll be entertained while shopping or might be hungry in between meals. As from I observe, Maryam normally throw tantrums when it's time for her nap or it's meal time.

2) I should remain calm. This is quite difficult, honestly. But, I have to learn to be as calm as possible and not to get temper, addition to her tantrums. Yelah, anak tengah duduk meraung sekuatnya depan orang ramai dan maknya nak kena buat dek je. Huhu..Memang susah. But I believed this must be a good way to handle her. If it's impossible to remain calm and continue shopping, I've to prepare to just leave everything in the trolley/basket and leave. (Drastik!) or let her Ayah to continue shopping and pay. I've to bring her out from the store-to anywhere possible that can remain her calm and stop her tantrum.

3) Strict on my decision. Normally she started to throw tantrums if she doesn't get what she wants from the store. So, I've to be firm on my decision and not giving false hope, so that she'll understand that she'll not getting what she wants although by throwing tantrums.

It's a learning process for me as mummy each and everyday in my life. I have to know that throwing tantrums is just one of her growing stages and shouldn't be ashamed of if it's happen in public.

More info is available here or here. Credit to these sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment